The dangers of cell phone chargers made headlines when Galaxy phones everywhere were catching fire due to overheating, but New Hampshire Fire Department wants every Apple, Galaxy and Samsung user alike to know–phone cord charger fires don’t discriminate.
The Newton, New Hampshire Fire Department recently posted a statement to their Facebook page that painted a very scary picture for cell phone users and parents everywhere. In an attempt to raise awareness about the dangers of charging mobile devices-including tablets and laptops–while in bed, they posted the following statement:
“Research has revealed that 53% of children/teens charge their phone or tablet either on their bed or under their pillow. This can be extremely dangerous. The heat generated cannot dissipate and the charger will become hotter and hotter. The likely result is that the pillow/bed will catch fire. This places the child/teen as well as everyone else in the home in great danger.”
They posted this image to go along with their warning:
If that’s not enough to scare you into stop placing your charging phone under your head at night, I’m not sure what will.
We live in a time when everyone is glued to their phones. The first thing most people do in the morning is to check their updates on Facebook, SnapChat, Twitter and Instagram. Throughout the day, they spend hours browsing the web, reading stories that range in topic from world news to celebrity gossip. So it makes sense that the last thing most people do at night is to check their updates once more. If you’re someone who follows this type of phone schedule, be sure that when you close out your apps for the night, you place your phone safely on your bedside table, out of harm’s way.
The New Hampshire Fire Department backed their study with findings from Electrical Safety First. According to the experts, the type of charger a person uses plays a major role in house fires as well.
“The finding that over a quarter of all children surveyed have used or purchased a cheap unbranded charger is also extremely worrying. Counterfeit or substandard chargers are the most potentially dangerous counterfeit items Electrical Safety First has tested.”
They then went on to say,
“These chargers often contain faulty parts that can overheat and catch fire or deliver a fatal electric shock.”
As a cell phone user, the best thing you can do is to use the charger given to you by the phone’s manufacturer, or purchase a replacement charger directly from them when you need it. Cheap is not always better, which is evident by the number of fires started because of these seemingly “affordable” options.
Some additional safety tips to keep in mind before charging your phone next:
– Don’t use your device while it is being charged.
– Be sure to unplug chargers that aren’t in use.
– Charge your device on a solid surface.
– Never charge a mobile device on a soft or fabric covered surfaces such as a couch, bed or pillow.
To learn more about the dangers of cell phone chargers, watch the clip below.
Please SHARE this with your friends and family.