Scented candles serve many purposes. Perhaps you love to light one when you’re taking a relaxing bath.Or when you want to have an intimate moment with your lover. Candles can set the mood unlike anything else.
We all know that candles are a fire hazard. But now there’s evidence that burning candles can cause cancer too….
The research is now showing that scented candles do a lot more harm than good. And the reason why is terrifying.
When one mother learned that her passion for scented candles put her baby’s health in danger, she threw them out and then logged onto social media to tell everyone she knows the sinister TRUTH about scented candles.
Learn the reality about scented candles below!
Don’t take our word for it. Scented candles have long been a source of research for academics in well-known colleges and universities across the globe. But their findings seemed to have landed upon deaf ears, until one mother relayed a story to the world that every parent can relate to.
Professor Alastair Lewis from the National Centre for Atmospheric Science at the University of York in the United Kingdom has proven that the common ingredient used to give candles their decadent scent actually transforms into the poisonous gasformaldehyde when burned.
WHAT’S THE TOXIC CHEMICAL IN SCENTED CANDLES? LIMONENE.
Limonene is used in scented candles to provide a citrus-like aroma. But don’t be fooled. Lemon scented candles don’t actually utilize anything natural. There are no lemon-related ingredients in the candle wax.
INSTEAD, CANDLE MANUFACTURERS USUALLY USE TOXIC CHEMICAL, NOT NATURAL INGREDIENTS, TO PRODUCE THEIR “SCENT.”
When unaltered, limonene is safe. Other companies actually use it to flavor foods and give cleaning supplies a lemon scent. But when limonene molecules are heated, they produce dangerous effects. The chemicals react to the ozone when released into the air. The truth is that one in two or 50 percent of the molecules mutate into toxic formaldehyde.
SINCE MOST HOMES ARE WELL INSULATED, FORMALDEHYDE LINGERS FOR A LONG TIME AND CAUSE LONG-LASTING DAMAGE TO YOUR FAMILY.
The Health Protection Agency lists formaldehyde as a possible carcinogen or a cancer causing substance. That means that people who burn scented candles are potentially exposing themselves and their children to higher cancer risk.
IS A SCENTED CANDLE REALLY WORTH GETTING CANCER?
If you still choose to burn scented candles in your home, you need to take precautions. In order to combat negative effects of formaldehyde when using scented candles, make sure to open your doors and windows after use, Dr. Lewis recommends.
Or you can quit using scented candles altogether. That might be best especially if you have young children or babies in your home.
The fact that scented candle makers keep producing cancer-causing products for mass consumption is a worry too. This is just more evidence why having personal responsibility is important. And throwing away your scented candles could be a good way to teach your kids that valuable lesson.
Watch the video below for more information on the dangers of scented candles.
SHARE this story with anyone you know who uses scented candles!