A recent viral clip that has been in circulation provides a terrifying glimpse into an infection that is causing dogs and humans to experience a great deal of pain and discomfort. The clip showed a vet treating a dog who was experiencing an infection that caused dozens of maggots to burrow beneath the skin. This shocking clip has since been shared hundreds of thousands of times and the dog’s skin is shaved to maximize its impact.
Viewers are given a clear look at the dog’s shaven skin as the maggots are pushed out by the vet. While the animal seemed happy to have them removed, a number of questions have been raised. The clip took place in Gambia, Africa. The maggots are the byproduct of an infection that is known as myiasis and while it only lasts from three to five days, this comes as little comfort to those who experience it.
Maggots infect animals and people and when they burrow beneath the skin, it takes days for them to resurface. Mango flies carry these maggots and the infection takes place once they are able to lay their eggs inside of the skin. The skin serves as the incubator and dogs in the sub Sahara are especially susceptible. When the larvae make their way inside, a vet must work quickly in order to remove them.
So what can be done to prevent this infection from taking place in the future? For starters, pet owners need to be fully aware of their animal’s hygiene at all times. Do you have a dog who likes to roll around in bushes and dirt? If so, then you need to be checking their skin for signs of an infestation and remaining proactive is definitely in your best interests.
The best technique for getting rid of the infestations once they have arrived is by popping them in the same manner as you would a pimple. If you live in regions where this particular species of fly is found, then it is especially important for pet owners to remain vigilant. They could also be at risk if they are not careful!
In order to learn everything that you need to know about this all too common infection, you will need to watch the following video so that you can learn all of the most important about this unwanted infection before it is too late.